Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Makeup Essentials (2014)

In case you guys didn't know, I love wearing makeup and getting dolled up for anything that's worth getting dolled up for. Normally I just wear some eyeshadow, mascara, and eyeliner, but when it comes to a full face of makeup, deciding what to wear and what is of good quality is sometimes hard to decide, especially if the product is located at your local drugstore.
I just want to say that my skin is combination, meaning it can be oily in some areas as well as dry, so the foundation and powder may not be for everyone!

 Foundation 
There are many times of foundation and I know it's complicated to decide which one, as they all leave different finishes. For me, I like a slightly dewy look as the matte one makes me look like a porcelain Asian doll. It also makes you look more youthful. I prefer liquid since I have rosacea, as it's easier to cover it up compared to powder foundation.

Although I mentioned that I don't like matte finishes, when it comes to big events like prom or such, I use this foundation:
Make Up For Ever: Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation.

It comes in 16 different shades and I find that it matches skin pretty well. I had one of the Sephora workers help me decide on this one!
Price: $36
Where to buy: Sephora
Rating: 4/5 stars


 Powder Foundation 
This one is best for the summer! However, as I mentioned prior, powder foundation doesn't really cover my rosacea up well and I generally use it to just touch up my liquid foundation and/or BB cream. That being said, this is the one I use for touch ups:
Make Up For Ever: Duo Mat Powder Foundation
It has a mirror on the back of the lid and comes with a sponge, but I prefer to use a brush as I like that finish better.
Price: $34
Where to Buy: Sephora
Rating: 4.5/5 stars

I do want to mention that I've always been meaning to try this one out as well, as I have heard great reviews about it!
bareMinerals Original Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15
It's a little cheaper than the Make Up For Ever compact, but it's supposed to be a really healthy foundation for your skin! The infamous "swirl, tap, buff" quote applies to this product.
Price: $27
Where to Buy: Sephora

 Concealer 
I don't use concealer as I don't have any dark circles, however it is great for them as well as blemishes and redness! There are a couple concealers that I heard are fantastic.

Yves Saint Laurent: Touche Eclat Radiant Touch Concealer
I tried this on my palm in the store, but I didn't get a chance to apply it to my face as I don't particularly like putting samples on my face (germs!). I heard it's amazing though, particularly for highlighting areas on your face. The coverage is a bit light, however, so if you wanted to cover up blemishes I would suggest you go with something else, especially since this little thing is a tad pricey.
Price: $40
Where to Buy: Department stores, Sephora

Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer Kit
This one comes in two colors! One is the concealer while the other is a pressed powder to set the concealer with. Bobbi Brown has some pretty amazing products, and while I haven't been able to test this one out, this is one I plan on testing.
Price: $33
Where to Buy: Department stores, Sephora

Now if you want the ultimate concealer, be sure to buy this! Beware though, it is extremely pricey...

Cle de Peau Beaute Concealer
This little beauty is a makeup artist favorite and one that many celebrities swear by. If money is no limit, then this is the concealer you should definitely get.
Price: $70
Where to Buy: Nordstrom


 BB Cream 
Most of the time, I opt for BB cream instead of foundation as it's lighter and has more benefits for your skin (SPF, skin whitening, etc.). This product was first introduced in Korea and Japan in 1985 and is what most Asian celebrities, especially Korean celebrities, use. This cream is HUGE in Asia. It has recently come over the the United States, however I prefer the Asian BB Creams over the American versions anyway.

The BB Creams I use are only available at Korean skincare/makeup stores, most of which are hard to find and aren't local. Your best bet is probably online, either through eBay (be sure to look for a Top Rated Seller) or Sasa.com.

Atomy Whitening BB Cream

I got this through my 이모 (mom's sister aka aunt) as it's impossible hard to find in stores unless someone is selling the product and is associated with the company. This works pretty well and is the second BB cream I've tried aside from Mamonde's BB cream.
Price: varies, but normally not more than $20
Where to Buy: Online or through an Atomy salesperson
Rating: 4.5/5 stars

Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45
This beauty balm gives off the illusion of healthy skin (meaning it's slightly dewy, not a matte finish). It's long lasting, however like other BB creams, it has sheer coverage. I have found it to be long lasting and although it comes up very pink on my skin, with some blending and oxidation, the pink tones wear off.
Price: $39
Where to Buy: Sephora
Rating: 4/5



Finishing Powder 
This is essential to setting your makeup so it stays perfect throughout the day! A translucent one is best so it doesn't add anymore color to your skin.

Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder
The great news about this one is that it comes in a little trial size so you don't have to spend a ton of money on the large one if you don't like it!
Price: $16 (0.17 oz), $34 (0.3oz)
Where to Buy: Sephora

Too Faced Primed & Poreless Pressed Powder
This beautiful powder is translucent and fit for a princess! It's weightless, controls shine, minimizes pores, and creates a flawless complexion.
Price: $30
Where to Buy: Ulta, Sephora

 Eyeshadow Primer 
A good eyeshadow primer is essential for making your eye makeup last long AND appear as vibrant as it is in the palette! Think about it- if you don't have primer, your artwork won't last long. For your lids, the makeup will become oily throughout the day and won't adhere to your lids and begin disappearing.

Urban Decay Primer Potion

This is my favorite eyeshadow primer! A little goes a long way. You can get this in different ounces, but I prefer the larger one. This made my eyeshadow really pop and my eyeliner stay!

Price: $12 (0.2oz) or $20 (0.36oz)
Where to Buy: Sephora
Rating: 5/5 stars


 Eyeliner 
The essential in bringing out your eyes! I've been using tons of different types of eyeliner. Lately, I use pencil as it's quick and easy, but if I am going to an event, I use liquid since it's the most pigmented and last-longing.

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil
This is my favorite eye pencil that I've ever tried and the most long-lasting out of all of them. It's a bit pricey for an eyeliner, but it's pretty long-lasting to me and pigmented. It comes in a vast array of colors. I've tried Zero as well as a green (that they no longer sell sadly) and they're very pretty! I really want to get Bourbon as it's a pretty brown color with a slight shimmer to it.
Price: $19
Where to Buy: Sephora
Rating: 5/5 stars
Cheaper alternative: L'Oreal Extra-Intense Liquid Pencil Eyeliner (approximately $9, drugstores)

MAC Fluidline Gel Eyeliner
I've never tried this myself, but I bought it for my cousin for Christmas a couple years ago and she loved it! I always hear great reviews about this one. Another very popular gel eyeliner is the Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner ($23, department stores & Sephora). These have the consistency of a pencil but are highly pigmented like a liquid; basically the in-between of a pencil and liquid. You apply this with a brush, preferably a skinny brush so you get the line you desire.
Price: $16
Where to Buy: MAC, department stores
Cheaper alternative: Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (approximately $8, drugstores)

Dollywink Liquid Eyeliner
This is a felt-tip liquid eyeliner and is one that is highly coveted by many. It's very hard to find in the States and you have to go to a Asian beauty store to find this one (or buy it online). It's skinny enough to draw lines but you can also draw thick ones as well. It's long-lasting and it's pretty cheap if you find it at the right place :)
Price: Varies (the link below is $14.95 w/ shipping of 2.50)
Where to Buy: Asian beauty stores, Sasa.com
American Alternatives: Maybelline Line Stilleto Liquid Eyeliner (don't really recommend as it kinda wears off, but it's cheap & drugstore friendly), Lancome Artliner Eyeliner ($30, department stores)

Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner
This amazing liquid eyeliner can create thin lines and thick lines with ease! It is very waterproof (I've gone swimming with it before and it didn't budge), however it is easy to take off with makeup remover.
Price: $20
Where to Buy: Sephora, Ulta


 Mascara 
These really bring out your eyes, especially when you curl your lashes! There are many different types of mascara but to me, they're all the same and the name is just a placebo... I will list a bunch of ones that I personally liked in the past.

Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash Mascara

I have a trial of this as I was given a mascara box set for Christmas by my boyfriend's mom, and I really like this one! It makes my lashes long, and I'm sure if I curl them they'd look even better.
Price: $23
Where to Buy: Sephora
Rating: 4/5 stars

Dior Diorshow Mascara
This is a really famous mascara that a lot of makeup artists use on their clients. The brush is really fat, so it really fattens up your lashes. I liked this one, but I didn't find it as great as the hype made it out to be.
Price: $25
Where to Buy: Sephora, department stores
Rating: 4/5 stars


 Lip Liner 
There are honestly many different types of lip liners you could use, and I wouldn't really worry about where you get it from personally since nobody is really going to notice it... I prefer a nude lip liner though. Lip liner is great, especially when applying red lipstick and bold colors in general, because it prevents bleeding to occur.


 Lipstick 
Where do I even begin with this one? There are SO MANY different kinds of lipsticks that I enjoy... I will share some of my favorites with you guys.

Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick
These are so smooth on my lips! The color is great too and overall, I really like Revlon's lip products, especially since they're affordable AND at your local drugstore!
Price: approximately $8 (depending on where you go)
Where to Buy: drugstores
Rating: 4/5 stars

Nars Lipstick
These lipsticks are beautiful and come in a large array of colors!
Price: $26
Where to Buy: Sephora

Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil
This one is interesting because not only is it a lip liner, but it's also a lipstick as well! I have this in Dragon Girl and it's the most beautiful red... Be sure to exfoliate your lips as this can look really bad when they're dry.
Price: $25
Where to Buy: Sephora
Rating: 4/5 stars

MAC Lipsticks

Dear god there are SO MANY different kinds of lipsticks! They have Viva Glam, which are special lipsticks endorsed by celebrities (and they created the color) and proceeds go to different charities. They are pretty cheap, but can easily be addicting since there are so many colors, especially compared to the ones listed above! Be warned that Mac is known to test on animals.
Price: $15
Where to Buy: MAC, department stores

Too Faced La Creme lipstick
Personally my favorite lipstick of the lot, Too Faced offers a wide assortment of beautiful colors to suit every single look and skin tone. It's creamy and definitely bold in color, however you may have to reapply after a couple of hours depending on the color you get. You can't beat Too Faced's pretty packaging either!
Price: $22
Where to Buy: Sephora, Ulta
Rating: 5/5




...And that's really it! I could go on with lip glosses, lip tints, etc. but honestly, there are so many different kinds of lip products out there, not to mention mascara primer, that this list could go on forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment